Six people were killed as police managed to rescue 27 people during the attack at Bulla public works in Mandera by a group of Al-Shabaab militia at around 2:45am in the morning.
There was an attack in Mandera and unfortunately we lost six people,” Police chief Joseph Boinnet told the press
He said the “attack occurred near the border and was targeting non locals but our officers moved swiftly and rescued 27 others.”
Mandera Governor Ali Roba too confirmed the attack saying “we have suffered yet another attack in Mandera and sadly we have lost 6 people.”
A senior police officer from the region said “there is no doubt this is the work of Al Shabaab who crossed back to their country but we will get them.”
The attack was the first in the region in the last one year, authorities said.
The area had been a target for Al Shabaab terrorists who launch attacks mainly targeting passenger buses, often only killing non locals or non muslims.
Terror group Al-Shabaab attack innocent Kenyans at Mandera County on Thursday 6th killing civilians.
The ambush on civilians is believed to have targeted non–locals living near the Somali border